Bringing Excellence To North Carolinian Nonprofit Organizations
Everett Gaskins Hancock provides legal representation and policy counsel to charitable and advocacy organizations, institutional and personal foundations, nonprofit business associations, public-private partnerships, nonprofit journalism ventures, and unincorporated collaborations in Raleigh and throughout North Carolina. Our attorneys provide decades of experience to local nonprofit organizations.
Successfully Partnering With Local Nonprofits For Decades
Gerry Hancock leads this Practice. The firm provides legal representation and policy counsel to charitable and advocacy organizations, institutional and personal foundations, nonprofit business associations, public-private partnerships, nonprofit journalism ventures, and unincorporated collaborations.
The firm’s services include:
- The design, organization, reorganization, and renewal of nonprofit entities to assure mission alignment, sound financial management, long-term sustainability, creative leadership, effective governance, full DEI incorporation, and impact.
- Comprehensive startup services for new nonprofit organizations, including mission clarity, initial board of directors, initial budget projections, governance structure, conflict of interest policies, incorporation, requisite organizational actions, application for tax exemption, and related services.
- Ongoing legal services and counsel regarding, but not limited to:
- Organizational “launch” planning to establish strong initial presence.
- Identification of executive leadership.
- Board and staff orientation and training,
- Operational counsel, including ongoing legal counsel as needed, personnel policies and other operational policies, agreements with employee, grantors, vendors, and others, intellectual property and confidentiality agreements, regulatory compliance issues, etc.
- Governmental counsel, including legal representation and lobbying before state and local agencies including the General Assembly.
- Financial counsel, including fund raising planning, internal financial management and accountability issues, sustainability planning.
- Strategic planning and counsel on public policy issues.
- Development of public messaging as needed to achieve the mission.
- Management services, in some cases, where the firm serves as general counsel.
- Annual assessments of organization, board, staff, potential revision of strategic plans and/or mission, etc.
- Crisis management counsel as needed.
Gerry and the firm have been instrumental in the design and organization of numerous successful nonprofit organizations and public initiatives, and have provided legal and legislative representation to many others, including but not limited to:
- North Carolina Biotechnology Center
- North Carolina Center for Public Policy Research
- Public School Forum of North Carolina
- Education – Everybody’s Business Coalition
- North Carolina PTA
- Biofuels Center of North Carolina
- Rural Center of North Carolina
- Education NC (EdNC)
- Carolina Beacon
- The Innovation Project
- Low Wealth Schools Consortium of North Carolina
- North Carolina Education Corps
- North Carolina Retired Governmental Employees Association
- North Carolina Travel and Tourism Coalition
- Pinehurst Resort
- Strategic Twin-Counties Education Partnership
- North Carolina Alliance for School Leadership Development
- North Carolina Science, Mathematics & Technology Education Center
At Everett Gaskins Hancock, our business law attorneys are well-versed in nonprofit organizational structures, from the initial start-up and planning through any disputes, conflicts or challenges that may arise along the way.