Dedicated Advocacy. Practical Solutions.
- Of Counsel
Mel Black has decades of experience in administrative and occupation licensing law, both as a regulator and as an attorney in private practice. A native of North Carolina, Mel is nationally known as a subject matter expert in real estate and real estate appraisal.
Mel's varied background has uniquely prepared him to offer an elevated level of effective service to his clients. Having first been an officer of the NC Real Estate Commission, Executive Director of the NC Appraisal Board, and then an attorney defending licensees and prospective licensees before those same agencies, Mel's advice and counsel is valued for his experience, knowledge, and insight.
In his 31 years of experience, Mel has developed the right touch with regulatory matters and excels at addressing complex issues in a logical, effective manner. Clients come to him for assistance with defending regulatory complaints, filing license applications, and reporting character issues. Other clients retain Mel for ongoing advice and guidance on general business matters and regulatory compliance.
Mel frequently speaks at national and state conferences and conventions on occupational hearings and complaint handling procedures as well as many real estate and real estate appraisal topics.
- North Carolina Central University School of Law, Durham, North Carolina
- J.D. – 1998
- Honors: cum laude
- Law Journal: North Carolina Central University School of Law Review,1997 – 1998
- Appalachian State University, North Carolina
- Ed. S. Educational Specialist Degree – 1988
- Honors: summa cum laude
- Winthrop College
- M. Ed – 1985
- University of the State of New York, Albany, New York
- B.S. – 1984
- North Carolina, 1998
- District of Columbia, 2001
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of North Carolina, 2011
Certified Legal Specialties
- Real Estate Appraiser, North Carolina
- Licensed Real Estate Broker, North Carolina
- Certified Public School Educator
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Wake County Bar Association
- Tenth Judicial District Bar (Wake County)
- National Association of Real Estate License Law Officials, 2019 - Present
- Association of Appraisal Regulatory Officials, President, 1998 - 2003
- Council on Licensure, Enforcement, and Regulation, Board of Directors Member, 1995 - 2000
- The Appraisal Foundation Advisory Council (TAFAC), Member, 2002 - 2003
- Appraisal Foundation's State Regulator Advisory Group, Member, 2002 - 2003
- Order of the Long Leaf Pine, 2002
- Larry A. Outlaw Excellence in Real Estate Award, North Carolina Real Estate Commission, 2016
- Educator of the Year, North Carolina Real Estate Educators Association, 2016
- Commencement Speaker as a Distinguished Alumni -- Cherryville High School, Cherryville, North Carolina 2011
Classes & Seminars
- Real Estate Case Law, BrightPath Edu, 2009 to 2021
- Real Estate Update Courses, BrightPath Edu, 2009 to Present
- NC Administrative Procedure Act, Mecklenburg County Bar Association, 2009
- Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice, BrightPath Edu/McKissock Learning, 2005 to Present
- Appraisal Case Law, BrightPath Edu/McKissock Learning, 2004 to Present
- “Valuation Advisory: Valuation of Green and High Performance Property” by the Appraisal Foundation Contributor and Subject Matter Expert, Contributor and Subject Matter Expert
- North Carolina State Bar -- Professionalism Committee, 2021 to Present
- North Carolina Board of Law Examiners -- Candidate Interview Committee, 2020 to Present
- North Carolina Real Estate Commission, Elected Chair, 2022
- North Carolina Real Estate Commission, Reappointed, 2022
- North Carolina Real Estate Commission, Appointed, 2019
- North Carolina State Bar Association, Administrative Law Section, Occupational Licensing Committee Chair, Pro-Bono Committee Chair, 2007 to 2019
- Legal Services of the Southern Piedmont, 2007 to 2009
- Black and Hagan, Instructor’s Manual for North Carolina Real Estate for Brokers and Salesmen, Fourth Edition, Prentice Hall 1995.
- Hetrick and Outlaw, North Carolina Real Estate for Brokers and Salesmen, Fourth Edition, Prentice Hall 1994. Contributor.
- Hetrick, Outlaw, and Moylan, North Carolina Real Estate Manual 2011-2012 Edition, North Carolina Real Estate Commission 2011. Contributor.
- “Valuation of Green and High Performance Property: Background and Core Competency” by the Appraisal Foundation 2015. Contributor and Subject Matter Expert.
- Approved by the Appraisal Foundation as AQB Approved USPAP Instructor
- Speaker and teacher on Appraisal Matters---Speak at various national professional conferences. Teach national appraisal courses
- Webinar Host for Appraisal Topics -- National webinars on various appraisal topics.
- North Carolina Appraisal Board, Executive Director, 1995 to 2003
- North Carolina Real Estate Commission, Education and Examination Officer, 1992 to 1995